Jun 18, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog

Academic Policies and Grading

Academic Load and Full-Time Status

Graduate students must enroll in six or more credits per semester to be considered full-time. A minimum of six credits is required for financial aid.

Graduate students carry anywhere from three to twelve credits per semester. Students should refer to program handbooks or academic advisors for determining academic load.

Academic Standing

A graduate student must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 to graduate or receive a post-baccalaureate certificate.

A graduate student must maintain a cumulative 3.00 GPA to remain in good academic standing. If the cumulative GPA drops below 3.00 at the end of a semester (fall, spring, or summer), a student is placed on academic probation. A student remains on academic probation for a maximum of nine (9) additional completed graduate credits or until the student’s cumulative GPA meets or exceeds 3.00, whichever occurs first.

A student will be academically dismissed at the end of the semester if:

  1. the student receives one “F” or “XF” at any time during the student’s graduate study at the College; or
  2. while on academic probation, the student fails to restore the cumulative GPA to at least a 3.00 within the next nine (9) additional complete graduate credits; or
  3. the student is a candidate in the M.S. in Counseling program and receives two grades of “C” or lower at any time during the student’s graduate study at the College.

If one of the above occurs, the student is notified by the Registrar’s Office at the end of the semester that the student has been academically dismissed effective at the end of the current semester. If the academic dismissal occurs as a result of a class that was completed in Session I of a semester, the student may, if enrolled in a Session 2 class of the same semester, choose to complete the Session 2 class.

A student has the right to appeal an academic dismissal in writing to the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies. The written appeal must be submitted within 30 days of the date of the notice of academic dismissal. The Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies or designee will review the appeal and render a decision in a timely fashion. A student has the right to appeal the Dean’s decision to the Graduate Academic Policy and Standards Committee within 30 days of the Dean’s decision. The decision of the Graduate Academic Policy and Standards Committee is final. To support the academic success of the student, the Dean or Committee may set conditions for reinstatement that must be met before the student is allowed to continue in the program. If the appeal is ultimately denied, the student may not reapply to that program.


Prior to the start of a course, students may add or drop a class. After classes start, students may add a class only if they have the approval of the instructor or program coordinator; an add/drop form, with the instructor’s signature, must be processed with the Registrar’s Office. Students may drop a course with no grade during the first two weeks of class (for summer courses only through the second class meeting), after that they must submit a completed online Course Withdrawal (Graduate) form available within the Portal >  Registrar’s Office > Graduate Information > Graduate Forms. Notifying the instructor of the class is common courtesy, but is NOT an official drop. 

If a student drops a course(s) after the first two weeks of class, it is considered a withdrawal and a grade of “W’ will be posted on the transcript. A “W” is not calculated in the student’s GPA. Students may not drop/withdraw from a class two weeks prior to the class ending without permission of the program coordinator. 



A person who has completed the admission requirements and who wishes to attend a course without satisfying the formal course requirements may do so by auditing the course. An audit is entered on the record as “AU,” no credit hours attempted, and no grade or quality points awarded. The instructor sets the amount of participation required in the course. The charge is one-half the regular tuition. While audited courses appear on student transcripts, they do not carry grades or credit. If the student does not meet the instructor’s requirements, the instructor has the right to delete the course from the student’s record. Although students must declare the audit option prior to the end of the second week of class, they can request a change from audit to letter grade up until the end of the semester. Students who choose this option must complete course requirements as assigned, must have the instructor’s approval to change from audit to credit, and must pay the price differential. 

Dismissal from Program

If a student is dismissed from any academic graduate program, the student will be informed via McDaniel email and in writing by US mail of the dismissal, including the reason for the dismissal, and any processes or procedures available to them to appeal the dismissal. The graduate academic dismissal form is available here.

If a student is dismissed from an academic graduate program, but not from McDaniel College, the student will be informed of this distinction in writing by US mail. In addition, the student will be informed:

  • of any completed coursework that may be transferable to another certificate or degree program within the College, and the student will be provided with contact information to obtain additional information should they choose to explore options for remaining at McDaniel College;
  • if they will be allowed to complete any courses in which they are currently enrolled.

Ethics and Standards

Ethics and Standards  




Faculty submitted grades are available in the MyMcDaniel Portal > Self-service within 48 hours after the official end of the semester.

A student’s grade reflects the quality of the scholarly achievement. A total average of 3.00 (B) must be maintained in order to remain in good standing.

Letter grades are converted to numerical values on the following scale:

  Letter Grade Quality Points  
  A 4.00  
  A- 3.70  
  B+ 3.30  
  B 3.00  
  B- 2.70  
  C+ 2.30  
  C 2.00  
  C- 1.70  
  F 0.00  
  I/IP/P/XF Not calculated into GPA  

A grade of I (Incomplete) may be given only for emergency reasons acceptable both to the instructor and the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies. A completed Incomplete Grade Request Form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. The date of completion may not be longer than one academic term (Spring, Summer, or Fall) from the date when the incomplete grade was issued. Any incomplete grade which extends beyond the one-term time limit becomes an “F/XF.”  While carrying an incomplete grade, a student may not register for more than a total of six credits of additional course work.

A grade of IP (In Progress) may be given for students who are continuing to complete requirements for courses that extend beyond one semester, such as internships, special projects, etc. An IP grade can be carried up to one calendar year of the date the IP grade was submitted by the course instructor. Some programs may require students with an IP grade to register for a 1 credit course each term/semester until the IP grade is completed.

Grade Repeat Policy

During the course of a program, candidates may repeat only one course. While both grades will appear on the transcript, only the most recent grade is calculated into the cumulative GPA.

Grade Grievances


Grades submitted by the instructor are considered final and may be grieved if:

  • a reporting or arithmetic error occurred which resulted in an incorrect grade; or
  • the student believes the grade was prejudicial or capricious.

If a student chooses to grieve a grade, the following process shall be followed.

  1. The student shall first discuss the grade with the instructor. If the instructor agrees with the student, the instructor will submit a Change of Grade form to the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies for approval.
  2. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of the discussion with the instructor, the student shall then discuss the grade with the appropriate program coordinator for resolution.
  3. If resolution is not reached, the student shall submit a written grade grievance to the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies. The Dean or designee will attempt to consult with the instructor and/or program coordinator before rendering a decision. If the Dean or designee finds insufficient reason to support the student’s grievance, the grievance process is ended. Should the Dean or designee find clear evidence of a calculation error or prejudicial or capricious evaluation, the Dean or designee will recommend to the instructor that the grade be changed. If the instructor refuses to change the grade, the Dean or designee will send the case to the Graduate Academic Policy and Standards Committee for consideration.
  4. The decision of the Graduate Academic Policy and Standards Committee is final.

The deadline for appealing a grade is the last day of classes of the semester following the term in which the course was taken, including summer.

Graduation or Completion of Post Bachelor’s Certificate

Graduate GPA Requirement

In order to graduate from any master’s degree program or receive a post-baccalaureate certificate, students must meet all program requirements and have a GPA that meets or exceeds the 3.00 standard at the time of completion. Students whose GPA is below 3.00 at the time of program completion will be given one semester to raise the GPA to the required 3.00. The additional requirement will be determined by the program coordinator.

Application for Graduation or Post Bachelor’s Certificate

All students must submit an Application for Graduation or Post Bachelor’s Certificate, which is available in the MyMcDaniel Portal under the self-service menu. Prior to filling out an application, students are encouraged to meet with their program coordinators or advisors to be sure they are eligible to graduate. The Registrar’s Office, working directly with program coordinators, verifies all graduation/completion clearances. Degrees and certificates are awarded three times a year - August, December, and May, however formal commencement exercises are held only in May. The official graduation dates used for the awarding of the degree or certificate are listed on the Academic Calendar.

Graduation Application Deadlines

August Graduation – July 1
December Graduation – November 1
May Graduation – April 1

Commencement Ceremony

A formal commencement ceremony is held only in May. Students who have completed all requirements prior to the May Commencement Ceremony are invited to participate in the ceremony. Beginning in early February, several campus offices will send Commencement Ceremony information. Ceremony information including date, time, participant instructions, and the ordering of regalia, will be listed on the College’s Commencement website, as it becomes available.

Graduate students with only one degree requirement remaining (a course consisting of three-credits or fewer) may petition to walk in the May Commencement Ceremony if the final requirement will be completed by the end of the summer term. A remaining internship, capstone, thesis, or comprehensive exam is not allowed as a remaining requirement. The student’s program GPA must be 3.00 or higher at the time of the petition. A Request to Participate in Commencement must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies by May 1 prior to the Commencement Ceremony. The petition form may be obtained from the Program Coordinator or Advisor or online.

Medical Leave of Absence

Students who wish to leave the College for medical reasons may request an official Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA). An MLOA is temporary and can be granted for two consecutive semesters. In exceptional circumstances, a third semester of an MLOA may be approved. MLOAs must be requested prior to the final two weeks of classes.

To request an MLOA, students must:

  • Discuss their request with their program advisor or the Dean of GPS.
  • Complete an MLOA request form.
  • Submit documentation to the College’s Wellness Center from a medical provider specifying the reason for the MLOA. The provider must be the student’s treating physician, licensed mental health provider, or other licensed healthcare professional. This provider must not have an immediate familial relationship with the student. The documentation will be kept on file at the Wellness Center and must include:
  1. Diagnosis or condition, including onset date if acute or exacerbation date if chronic
  2. How this condition results in functional impairments that prevent the student from meeting the expectations of a student
  3. Clear recommendation for medical leave of absence from the graduate program.

Students will receive a final decision about MLOA requests via email either from the program coordinator or from the Dean of GPS.

If the request for an MLOA is submitted prior to the last two weeks of classes, the student will receive a grade of “W” for any course in progress when the leave was requested. In the last few weeks of the semester, where practical given the course and the medical condition, students should explore taking an incomplete grade as an alternative to taking an MLOA.

Students who wish to return to their graduate programs should contact their program advisor to discuss the resumption of their coursework. Before a student can resume coursework in programs that include faculty assessment of a student’s professional dispositions for licensure or certification, the student must have an interview with the program’s coordinator and/or members of the program’s faculty. In some cases, students may be required to provide medical clearance for return from their healthcare provider.

Students requesting an MLOA are responsible for contacting Financial Aid (if they have received financial aid) and the Bursar’s Office to review and discuss procedures in those areas. 


Educational Records

Educational records are those records, files, documents, and other material directly related to a student and maintained by McDaniel College or any of its agents. The College assumes an implicit and justifiable trust as custodian of these records. Access to and release of student records are determined by College policy, which complies with Public Law 93-380 (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, often referred to as the Buckley Amendment). Copies of the College Policy on Release of Information About Students and of the U.S. Department of Education regulations implementing Public Law 93-380 are available here.

Retention of Records

Academic records are held by the Registar’s Office. Transcript records are also permanently held by the Registrar’s Office. Documentation pertaining to the registration for each semester is held only for a period of one year. If any questions should arise regarding documentation of enrollment more than one year beyond registration for the course, it will be the student’s responsibility to produce proper documentation to support any claim for a change to the record.


              Official transcripts (electronic or paper) are available through Parchment Ordering Service. A $12.00 fee is charged for each official transcript requested.
              Official transcript requests will not be honored if the student has any outstanding accounts at the College.

             To access Parchment ordering portal:

  •              Go to www.mcdaniel.edu
  •              Move your cursor over “Alumni” at the top of the page
  •              Choose CONNECT from the yellow box
  •              On the next screen, page down to the information about ordering transcripts
  •              Click on Parchment Ordering Service (it is a link in blue letters)

Current and former students will need to:

  • Create an account with Parchment – be sure to complete as much information as you are able
  • Be sure to select the correct transcript type. Official electronic transcripts will arrive at their destination in about an hour; mailed transcripts take from 7 – 12 business days to arrive.
  • If you wish to send the transcript to a specific individual’s email adress, do NOT enter anything in the box that asks where you want it to go. Instead, click on the link that asks if you want sent to yourself or another third party.
  • If you need your transcript held for degree information or current semester grades to post, be sure to selct Hold of Degree or Hold for Grades” in the request.

Second Master’s Degree

Students may be enrolled in and complete courses toward two Master’s degrees at McDaniel College. Students seeking two Master’s degrees must complete the requirements for each degree prior to that degree being awarded. Degrees will be awarded independently upon completion. A total of 60 credits must be completed before the second degree will be awarded.

A maximum of six graduate level credits (or nine for CED School Guidance or 12 for CED Clinical Mental Health) may be transferred from a previous institution to each degree providing the 60 credit total is met prior to the awarding of the second degree. Credit may be earned no earlier than six years prior to the start of the Master’s programs. Only grades of A and B may be transferred.

Student Catalog

Students adhere to the program requirements as stated in the graduate catalog for the academic year in which they are admitted. While students may request to follow the requirements in a newer catalog, students may not follow the requirements prior to the academic year in which the student is admitted. If a student has been withdrawn, and is subsequently readmitted, one of the following occurs:

  • If the readmission is within the student’s original program time limitation in which to earn the Master’s degree (six years from the start of the firstcourse) or Post- Baccalaureate Certificate (four years from the start of thefirst course), the student follows program requirements in the original catalog.
  • If the readmission occurs after the original time limitations noted above, the student follows program requirements in the current catalog.

Time Limitation

Once a student enters a master’s degree program as a degree-seeking student, the student will have six years from the start of the first course to complete all degree requirements. 

Once a student enters a post-baccalaureate certificate program, the student will have four years from the start of the first course to complete all certificate program requirements.

Appeals for extension of the six-year or four-year time limit must be submitted to the Academic Policy and Standards Committee.

Once a student is enrolled as a degree- or certificate-seeking student, the student will remain an active student as long as one course is attempted during a two-year period. Any student who does not attempt to complete a course during a two-year period will be adminstratively withdrawn (inactive) from the College.

A student who fails to complete the program in the allotted time limitation will be withdrawn from the program. Readmittance to the program and program completion requirements will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Transfer Credit

Credit earned at another institution must be presented and reviewed by the program coordinator or academic adviser for approval. Catalog course descriptions may be requested. Specific restrictions are:

  • transfer credit must be from institutions accredited by accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education;
  • the work must be equal in scope and content to that offered by McDaniel College;
  • only grades of A and B may be transferred;
  • a maximum of six graduate level transfer credits may be accepted from other accredited institutions or from a previous McDaniel College master’s degree except for:
    • HRM and CED (School Guidance) students may transfer up to nine credits
    • RDS (Reading Specialist) students may transfer up to ten credits from the Wilson Reading Program
    • CED (Community Mental Health) students may transfer up to 12 credits;
  • individuals seeking a second Master’s degree must earn a minimum of 60 graduate credits;
  • credits may be earned no earlier than six years prior to beginning the master’s degree program; and
  • official transcripts must be submitted directly to the College from teh issuing institution before credits will be posted on a student’s McDaniel record.

Students seeking transfer credit from coursework earned at an institution outside the U.S. must submit an official transcript(s) that has been evaluated by a professional credential evaluation service. McDaniel College recommends World Education Services (wes.org) but will accept an evaluation from any National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (naces.org) member.

Withdrawal from Course(s)/College

Students who determine they are unable to complete their academic program or continue enrollment in classes, should withdraw from the course(s)/ College. It is assumed that students will not withdraw from course(s)/College during a term. However, if such a withdrawal is necessary during the term, students must submit a completed Course Withdrawal (Graduate) form available online within the Portal > Registrar’s Office > Graduate Information > Graduate Forms.

Students who drop course(s) after the first two weeks of class are considered course withdrawals and will have a grade of “W’ posted to the transcript. A “W” grade is not calculated in the GPA. Students may not withdraw from a class two weeks prior to the class ending without permission of the program coordinator.